A lot of people give their pet dogs leftover food from the dinner table. Most people think this is fine since dogs are not strictly carnivores, unlike cats. But do you know there are several different types of human consumable foods that are poisonous for dogs?

Although it is extremely hard to resist those puppy eyes, the health of your dog matters more than giving it dangerous treats. Consider MyPetzilla’s collection of UK dogs for sale and get advice on what to feed your pet.

Take a look at the list below and why you should completely eliminate these foods from your dog’s diet:

Chocolate

Everyone loves chocolates and so do dogs. However, what smells great to dogs may actually be quite poisonous.

A small amount of chocolate can give your dog vomiting and diarrhoea. A large amount of chocolate can produce muscle tremors, irregular heartbeats, seizures, internal bleeding and even induce heart attacks in dogs.

Onions

Onions are a routine part of our savoury menu but they are toxic to dogs. Eating onions can lead to a condition called haemolytic anaemia, which destroys the red blood cells in your dog. This reduces the blood’s ability to carry oxygen and reduce healthy functioning in pets. Severe onion poisoning can lead to death.

Milk

Like humans, dogs can consume milk fine when they are puppies. But as they grow up, some dog breeds experience lactose intolerance, just like we do. If your dog suffersfrom severe intestinal distress like diarrhoea, gas, stomach pain and vomiting after consumption of dairy products, it is best to stop giving it to them.

Raw Yeast Dough

While your dog can nibble on some bread, raw dough is a definite no-no. The stomach of your dog is an ideal environment for the yeast to grow. As the dough expands, it will press in on the surrounding organs and create respiratory problems. Your dog may be unable to regurgitate the dough because of its glutinous nature. As the yeast ferments, it will produce ethanol that can drive up the dog’s blood alcohol level. This can result in inebriation and lack of coordination. Severe cases can be fatal.

Salty Food

Dogs need a healthy amount of salt in their diets but not so much that it causes electrolyte imbalance. Excessively salty foods like crisps and pretzels can be harmful for your dog. For one, it can make them extremely dehydrated. For another, it can cause sodium ion poisoning. This can result in vomiting, diarrhoea, high fever, depression, seizures and in severe cases, death.

Xylitol

Though safe for humans, xylitol, used as a sugar substitute in gum, toothpaste, cakes and candy can lead to extremely low blood sugar and liver failure in dogs. Early signs of poisoning include lethargy, vomiting, seizures and lack of coordination. In a few days, your dog may suffer a hepatic failure.